Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Planes Raros con Francisco

So I did something a bit sketchy.

I had contacted Mathi, who was one of the people I stayed with in Concepcion because her boyfriend had told me that he had a friend who lived on Easter Island.  Her boyfriend actually was actually friends with the sister of someone who lived on the Island -- it is still unclear to me.  Anyway, I got his contact, Francisco, that is.  He said I could stay at his house and that he would pick me up from the airport.  We became facebook friends, I scoped him out with out ever meeting him and said ók´.

Because I am so good at profiling people, I brought a lot of snacks and chocolates as a thank you gift to give to Fancisco.  He seemed like the ´munchie´type, if you know what I mean.
My preconceptions were dead on.  He picked me up, drove us up to the inactive volcano and asked for the chocolates I had brought.

                                This is Francisco in front of Hanga Roa, the only town on the island.
Huge volcano crater, so cool!

We went back to Francisco´s house, which was sort of a shit hole.  We ate more snacks, listened to hip hop and talked.  He made me feel sort of uncomfortable, so after hanging out, meeting his friends and staying one night at his house I left to go to a camp site, which is where I am now staying. 
 Although Francisco wasn{t the ideal person to host me, he has still been very kind and accommodating.  We checked out some Maoi (big heads) and went on a hike the other day. 
The Maoi are totally amazing statues that line the entire island more or less.  Many of them have eyes made out of coral so after all these years the color still shines bright.  All but one face inward on the island and are erected on stone made platforms.  No one really knows what the story is, there is no written history of the people of the island, there are only theories.     Being here really makes you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment