Sunday, May 27, 2012

Rapa Nui

More on Easter Island:
I continued to explore the island despite my running nose and occasional chill.  I hitched a ride with a very kind man named Hernan who drove me 20 minutes out of the way to drop me off at Raru Ranaku, also known as the quarry, where the big heads were carved out of the side of a volcano.  He dropped me off at a hidden entrance where I could sneak in for free.  He offered me some Coca-cola and then left.  What a kind guy!

The site was pretty amazing and very mysterious -- giant heads sticking out of the ground, broken face-down and many half way under the earth.
This is where I started taking a lot of selfies

Here you can see a giant Maoi that was never quite erected from the side of the volcano.  How did they do it!?¿?¿

After Raru Ranaku I found another site near by.  Ta-dah!  15 Maoi standing facing inland.  Apparently all had been toppled over over the past few millenia or something, but in the past 20 years have been reconstructed.

I got a ride back to town with a bunch of Americans who had to catch a flight.  We slammed beers as they shredded back to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment