Monday, June 4, 2012

Familia Chilena

On Saturday morning my Chilean parents, Cristina and Tino picked me up from Zimmi´s house.  We bought snacks from the organic farmers market and then headed west towards the coast.  We were off to their beach house in Cochagua, which is about an hour north of Valparaiso.  It was a pretty direct ride, except for one stop in a near-by town where they bought me an alpaca scarf for no reason.  I don´t understand why they are so kind to me!!!!

We reached the coast and promptly went out to a fancy lunch.  Tino and I shared a bottle of wine, argued about politics and disputed conspiracy theories.  He is way into Alex Jones. . .
This lunch in Cochagua may be one of the highlights of my trip.  We had such a fun time talking about life, traveling and the meaning of it all.  We also gossiped a bit about their children and made a plan for my Mom to come to Chile and fall in love with a Chilean man.  The wine was really flowing.

M. Cristina is the most motherly mother!
Tino, muy bueno honda! 
 After lunch we went back to their house and took a seriously wine induced nap.  Cristina woke me up to drive me around the neighboring towns.  We checked out towns like Zappallar, where the fanciest fancy Chileans vacation.  It reminded me of Nantucket, but more historical.  There were many houses tucked away in the steep hills that stand beside the Pacific and an ecclectic mix of antiquated and modern achitecture.

The  next day we drove south to Valparaiso.  Unfortunately it was raining like crazy.  Their friend Ceci met us and we drove around the windy, colorful streets.  Ceci has lived in Valpo for many years and was a great guide.  We checked out the old prison which has recently been converted into an art space and large art gallery.  Additionally, we visited one of the 8 functioning elevators that lift you up the almost vertical hills.
 Valparaiso was once known as the ^sister city^to San Francisco before the Panama Canal was made.  It is still a big port city.  It does have some likeness to SF, especially in color and bohemian culture.

arrriiiibaaa!

After our quick whirlwind tour of Valpo we returned to Santiago where I hung out at Cristina and Tino`s house waiting for my bus to La Serena at 11:45pm.  While I waited, I hung out with Mila and Miguel, Cristina and Tinos kids, both of whom had broken up with their respective lovers that weekend.  There was a somber vibe.  I tried to give the best advice that I could, but when Miguel dropped me off at the bus I wished him luck and he said he thought he would be just fine because he is an ÀLPHA male.  hmm. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment